Thursday, November 25, 2010

Being Grateful

When I moved to the United States almost eight years ago, one thing that I really liked was the fact that in this country, you had one day when you give thanks for all the things you have. We usually take more time focusing on the things we don't have than giving thanks for all those good things we do have in our lives. Sometimes, we take for granted that we have good health, a roof above our heads, a car to move around, a family who loves us, friends who support us, a job, food on the table, a sense of security, and so many other things that we usually don't stop to think about and instead we realize we had them when we lose them. For example, a few weeks ago, I was really sick with strep throat and that helped me realize how I take my good health for granted, I never stop to give thanks that I can walk, that I can move around, that I can work everyday. There are so many people in the world who do not have that. The same principle applies to being able to have food every day and not having to worry about whether I am going to eat today or not.

Although it is great to have a designated day to give thanks, it is also a good practice to give thanks for all the things that we have in our lives every day. Gratitude generates good energy and usually tells the universe to bring more of those things into our lives. Many times, the things that take place in our lives are a reflection of those things that are in our minds, so if we focus on lack, we only generate more lack.

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to drive through snow for the first time in my life. It was such an amazing experience! As I was driving through the border between California and Oregon, I started seeing little flakes on my windshield and I was like "is that snow?" It was such an amazing feeling to see the beauty of the mountains covered with snow for a person who has lived 2/3 of her life in a big city. I was grateful of that experience and the fact that nothing went wrong because as I was shifting lanes, I felt my car sliding and I was like ... oh no... don't let me end up hitting the side of the road like the car that they were pulling out as we were driving by.

Today is a day when I am thankful for being alive, for having another day in this beautiful earth and being able to observe beauty all around me. I am thankful for my family and friends who are always there for me. I am thankful for experiencing love in my life as well as giving love in my life. I am also grateful for those stressful moments in life when I feel everything is going wrong but they show me they are opportunities in disguise and let me experience my strength. There are so many things to be thankful for that it is hard to count them all but I know I am lucky to live where I live and be able to experience my life this way. Life is full of things to be grateful for if we take a minute and look around. Every small thing counts. You can choose to focus on the positive and let the negative fall away so it does not prevent you from living you life fully.

Blessings )0(

No comments:

Post a Comment