Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Adjustment Bureau

Free Will vs. the Plan - that's the question! Can we handle free will or do we need our lives to go according to plan? If there is a plan, can we derail and decide what feels right in that moment? After watching the movie The Adjustment Bureau, I couldn't help but think of how events in our lives impact the roads we take. Looking back, when I met my husband, I was engaged with a man who I'd been for over 7 years. We were thinking about getting married and then there was my husband... a derail in the plan. I did not think twice when I bought the tickets to come meet him in person after two months of talking online. I broke my engagement, got my passport and got on a plane for the first time in my life to come meet this man who I've only chatted online and over the phone. Yep! Big derail! I had my life in Buenos Aires, my perfect career, my beautiful apartment, everything that I wanted but I fell for this guy and I was not afraid of leaving everything behind to follow my heart. Was that part of the plan? Was the plan for me to move to California and work in the Dollar Tree for two weeks when I was an educated woman who spoke two languages? Maybe not, but the experience taught me that sometimes we hit the wall, sometimes we face hardship, but in the end, things are ok and everything is part of the story we are creating day by day.

Sometimes I wonder if I had not got married, if I had not moved to California, how would my life be? There are times when I wish I could get a glimpse of how life would be if I had taken the other road. Would I be different now? Maybe. Or maybe I would just be the same and had experienced similar situations in a different place. Like astrology says, if you don't learn the lesson, things repeat themselves in different places, different people, same lesson. Talking about Astrology, that science could be considered by some as "The Plan" because it can predict the situations that can arise, the pressure that can build up, the possibilities, but in the end we can decide... Like Arthur O'Shaughnessy said:

"We are the music-makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers, 5
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems."

Are you a shaker? Or do you follow the plan? Do you want somebody else to decide for you or are you ready to make your own choices? There is free will but it is up to us to decide how to use it or whether to use it at all. Some people want to go with the flow, make no decisions, let life happen to them. Others prefer to be the dreamers of the dream, the weavers of the web, not let life happen to them. Who are you? Are you driving in the driver's seat in your life or just being a passenger observing what is happening to you? If you are, and you are not happy about it, you can change today. Don't let the Adjustment Bureau decide what life should look for you. Make your own choices, decide today, allow yourself to dream your dream, to live the life you are meant to be and if you have to adjust in the way, be the one making the adjustment.

Blessings )0(

No comments:

Post a Comment