Thursday, October 20, 2011

Steve Jobs - 1955-2011

Last year, my best friend sent me a link to the one speech I think it is one of the best speeches I've ever heard. Below is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc

This was the first time I was introduced to Steve Jobs. If you know me, you know I live in my own private bubble and I am not very connected to the outside world since my inner world has plenty to keep me entertained. Like a Harry Potter book would say, I don't participate much in the muggle world. But this speech has the strength to burst my bubble and catch my attention. Each word Steve said resonated with me greatly and let me see him for who he was. A pioneer, a square peg into a round hole, different, unique, a person who was not afraid to follow his heart and live with passion.

On October 5, my best friend texted me telling me "Steve Jobs is dead." A sadness took over since this person was only 56 and he was gone. He had lived with passion. He had changed the world. He had left his imprint and legacy on this Earth. Can we say the same? If we were to die today, would the world remember us or would the world forget? That day, I decided to watch the Stanford Commencement Ceremony again. As I watched, I wrote down the words and phrases that really resonated with me at that time.

"Connecting the dots - Trust that all will work out. You can't connect the dots looking forward, you can only connect the dots looking backwards so you have to trust that the dots somehow will connect in the future. You have to trust in something, your gut, your destiny... because believing that the dots will connect down the road will give you the confidence to follow your heart even when it leads you off the well worn path and that would make all the difference."

How many times have you been in a situation when you wonder why I am living this? What's the lesson? Why life punishes me? Why does everything have to go wrong? Those are the moments you need to trust that the dots will connect and in the future, you will look back and smile because you wouldn't be the person you would be at that time if you hadn't gone through that experience.

"Sometimes life is going to hit you in the head with a brick, don't lose faith"

How many times have you wanted to give up but kept going? Thought everything was lost but inside yourself, you had faith that the lesson was there for a reason.

"If today was the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am going to do now?"

Do you live with passion? Do you wake up in the morning and know that you will doing what your heart wants and not what your mind wants. Are you following your mission in life or just the vision somebody had for you? Today, we had an earthquake in the Bay Area, nothing mayor, but it brought back human mortality and how we are all going to die one day. Once again, the question would be if I died today, would people remember me? Would I have fulfilled the purpose I had for my life? Would I have lived my life as the unique being I am bringing my gifts and skills to help the world become a better place?

"Your time is limited, don't waste it living somebody else's life."

"Stay hungry. Stay Foolish."

Steve Jobs was a man who changed the world. Will you do the same?

Blessings )0(

No comments:

Post a Comment