Saturday, October 1, 2011

Memories Remain

Titles disappear, relationships break down, people die, but memories remain. It is how we choose our experiences and learn from them that makes a difference. Money can not buy you experiences as it can not buy love. You can have the best job in the world and one day it may be gone but if you have learned from it, if you gain experience then not everything is lost.

Yesterday, I took my dad to a magical place. It was like we stepped into wonderland and spend a day there. We went to some wineries, had lunch in the Culinary Institute of America and then visit Castello di Amorosa where we walked around, visit the dungeons and had a lot of fun. It was amazing to see his smile and know that he was having a great time. He even said that the memories he now had were priceless and that he will savor them when he is back in Buenos Aires. You can imagine that meant a lot to me since memories remain forever and he is the only family I have since I have no brothers or sisters and my mom passed away four years ago.

Having those experiences with him made me realize how important is to treasure the present moment and choose our activities carefully since in the end, all that remains are the memories of those special moments we have spent with loved ones, or traveling, or growing, or evolving. Those memories stay with us forever and nobody, and when I say nobody I mean nobody, can take them away from us.

There are times in life when we start living like zombies or robots. We go to work, we come back, we eat, watch TV, go to bed, wake up and start the routine all over again. Nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing to feed the spirit. Those are the times that the body starts getting resented and starts showing signs that things are out of harmony. My wake up call was last week when I ended up in the doctor's office because I was coughing really badly after getting a cold two weeks ago. The verdict was a serious case of asthma. I haven't had serious asthma since I move to this country over 9 years ago and I usually associate asthma with stress and not being able to breath like there is no air, too much pressure that does not allow me to breath. During my last asthma attack, I was dealing with the US embassy and trying to get to my newly husband since we got married and were separated at the time due to redtape. This time, stress comes from a different source - an unhappy job, a lack of direction, a lack of purpose, and a feeling like life is just passing me by and I am giving away my power. These are not good places to be and it is time to take action. It is time to wake up and stop living in zombie land and start living in action land. Like the Sagittarius symbol, it is time to set the target and throw the arrow so when I look back in time, and my memories are the only thing I have left, I have memories I can be happy about.

Blessings )0(

No comments:

Post a Comment