Sunday, April 11, 2010

Bye Bye Perfectionism ~ I am human!

Who is responsible for saying what is perfect and what is not? That the one million dollar question. I am always wondering who sets the standards as of what perfect is because unless we are working on math and we have one answer to the problem, the rest of the areas in life are usually gray areas where there are no right or wrong answers, just answers and it will depend on the recipient whether the answer sounds ok or not for them, but again, it is not right or wrong, it is just an answer.

Sometimes I can't help but wonder where perfectionism comes from, who told us we need to do something one way in order to get it perfect, and again, what is perfect? Something may be perfect for one and totally wrong to another person but in the end, it is like the saying "beauty lies in the eye of the beholder" and it will depend on the person observing to determine what perfect is. Then the question is what is motivating us to try to do everything perfect, where does the little voice in our heads come from that says this is not good enough or perfect enough? Does it come from our parents? Maybe it comes from society or from our education but in the end, I think several times we are prevented from acting our dreams because we want it to be perfect. Is perfect so important that it has more power than allowing ourselves to do what we love? Is perfect so high in our value scale that we would avoid doing something because we fear we will not doing perfectly?

Today, I was reading the book "The Woman's Book of Confidence" by Sue Patton Thoele and the meditation I was working on had the following affirmations:

"I have the right and responsibility to soften my perfectionist.
I am worthwhile even though imperfect.
I loosen up and enjoy life's little imperfections."

So, I decided that starting today, I can choose to let go of my perfectionism.

Bye Bye Perfectionism ~ I am human and I am enough just the way I am.

Blessings!

1 comment: